How Do I Use Windows Hello Fingerprint & Face Recognition
Besides keeping your device locked in a safe, adding a digital lock to it is an easy way to protect it from prying eyes. That’s where Windows Hello, a Microsoft security feature, comes in handy; it allows you to lock your computer in a variety of ways. So, let’s talk about what Windows Hello is and how to use it.
What is Windows Hello, and how does it work
Windows Hello is a built-in security feature for Windows 10 users that allows them to sign in without a password. It provides users with the following biometric authentication options:
• Windows Hello Face – A webcam (internal or external) is used to recognize faces.
• Windows Hello Fingerprint – This feature is used to recognize fingerprints.
• Windows Hello Pin – This is a numeric or alphanumeric pin that is used to sign in.
However, the path is not as simple as it appears. To use some Windows Hello features on your device, you’ll need specialized hardware. For example, Windows Hello facial recognition only works with infrared-sensor-equipped cameras. Such cameras are available in Microsoft’s Surface lineup.
If you don’t have fingerprint or facial recognition hardware, you can still set up a pin or picture password.
How do I set up Windows Hello and use it
It only takes a few minutes to set up Windows Hello on your computer. Here’s how you can do it:
1. Launch the Settings application.
2. Select Accounts from the drop-down menu.
3. On the left panel, click the Sign-in options tab.
4. You’ll find various Windows Hello options that your PC supports under Manage how you sign in to your device.
5. Select Windows Hello PIN from the drop-down menu, then Add. Please note that you must first set up the PIN before using the Face and Fingerprint features.
6. In the pop-up window, click Next and enter your Microsoft account password.
7. Finally, click OK after entering your Windows Hello pin. You can also add alphabets and symbols to your list.
That is all there is to it. Your device’s Windows Hello has been successfully configured.
Activate the Windows Hello Fingerprint feature.
You can set up biometric authentication options if your device has an iris camera or a fingerprint sensor. To enable fingerprint recognition, follow these steps:
1. Select Windows Hello Fingerprint from the Sign-in Options menu, then select Set Up.
2. Then, under Getting Started, enter your Windows Hello PIN.
3. Then, to register your finger on the sensor, follow the steps.
4. In the final step, you can click Add another finger if you have more than one user on your computer, or you can add more of your own.
One thing to keep in mind is that on Windows 10, Windows Hello is now the default security. Even if you only use a pin to log in, Windows Hello is still in use. You can’t uninstall or uninstall Windows Hello.
If you don’t want to use Windows Hello for whatever reason, you can sign in with your Microsoft account password.
How do you get rid of your Windows Hello Pin
First, remove the Hello pin disable the toggle button labeled “Require Windows Hello Sign-in for Microsoft accounts.” After that, select the Pin option and then Remove.
After you disable the Windows Hello pin on your device, the Fingerprint and Face options will no longer work.
Is it possible to use Windows Hello on a desktop computer?
Yes, absolutely. While the Pin option works right out of the box, you’ll need additional hardware to use the other features.
For example, to use Windows Hello Face, you’ll need an external webcam with Iris scanner support and a compatible fingerprint reader.
One new feature introduced by Microsoft is setting the external webcam as the default camera for Windows Hello, which is extremely useful. If your PC lacks a webcam, you can purchase one from a variety of retailers. The Logitech Brio 4K, for example, is a popular choice.
Is it possible to use Windows Hello with a local account
No, it’s not true. Windows Hello is a security feature that works with your Microsoft account to keep you safe. People who use a local store are not eligible for it. It makes sense because local versions aren’t compatible with cross-device sync.
What should you do if Windows Hello doesn’t work
It’s possible that Windows Hello won’t work as expected at times. This event is most likely to occur if you attempt to log in using face or fingerprint recognition.
If you can’t sign in to your device while using an external webcam, double-check the USB ports. Keep your webcam and fingerprint reader drivers up to date as well to get the most out of your device.